Pico de Gallo is a very popular type of salsa/relish that is used in Mexican cuisine. It is made with fresh tomatoes, onions, and jalapeños. It is so very tasty and I love that it is so versatile to liven up so many dishes.
- 3 c. tomatoes, chopped (about 3 lg. tomatoes or 10-12 Roma tomatoes)
- ½ c. onion, finely chopped (I use a yellow onion)
- 2-3 T. jalapeños, finely chopped (1-2 jalapeños)
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. each of salt and pepper
- ½ c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- Juice from 1 lime
Many people use a red/purple onions but I am allergic to them so I always use a white or yellow onion. Also many people add cilantro but I don’t care for cilantro so I leave it out.
To prepare, mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Stir. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until ready to use.
Serves 4 and each serving has about 5 carbs.