Thursday, November 25, 2021

Make Your Own Dishwasher Detergent Powder

       


 Do you know what ingredients are in your dishwasher detergent?  I know exactly what is in mine because I make my own dishwasher detergent! Most store-bought dishwasher detergents contain carcinogens, which are toxic.  Yes, they help prevent hard water stains and preserve the detergent so it will last longer but at what cost?!  

             I like to make my own so I can control what goes into it but also so I can save money.  It is very economical to make your own detergent and is less toxic too.

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent Powder

 

 1 c. Borax

1 c. washing soda

1 c. baking soda

1/2 c. sea salt

2 envelopes unsweetened lemonade (such as Kool-aid brand)

10-12 drops lemon essential oil


    Most recipes out on the internet calls for citric acid and that is something most people do not have on hand or costs more than I want to spend so I use the Kool-Aid lemonade packets instead.  There is citric acid in them so it is just as good and definitely more economical.  The citric acid helps to get dishes cleaner and without spots. 

    The essential oil smells lovely and lemon essential oil has disinfectant properties. 

    To make the detergent powder, place all ingredients into an air tight container like a canning jar and shake well.  Use 1 tablespoon for normal loads or 2 tablespoons for extra heavy or extra dirty loads.  

     Also, if your plastic ware ever has a white residue on them, fill up your rinse aid area with white vinegar and your problems will be solved.  

 


 

    Other frugal blog posts I have made that you should check out include: Homemade Air Freshener (similar to Febreze), Making your own DIY Foaming Hand Soap, Homemade Laundry Detergent, and Homemade Fabric Softener.


Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram


No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...