Tuesday, June 7, 2022

How to Make Homemade Tzatziki Sauce

    I was raised in NW Oklahoma (Enid) and until I grew up, moved out and had my own family, I had never even heard of tzatziki sauce.  While living in Tulsa, I went out with friends to a Greek restaurant and was amazed at how delicious tzatziki sauce was and how I had been missing out.  I now live outside a tiny town in SE Oklahoma (Talihina) and there is nowhere to enjoy this amazing sauce so I decided to make up some of my own so my family and I can enjoy it whenever our mood suits us.  If you have never tried tzatziki sauce, let me tell you that it is a powerhouse of flavor.  It is so refreshing and versatile.  


 

  • 1 ½ c. plain Greek Yogurt
  • 1 c. grated cucumber
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • 1 T.  extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 T. mint
  • 1 T. dill
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1 tsp. parsley
  • ½ tsp. thyme
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. pepper

After grating the cucumber, put the grated cucumber into a cheesecloth and squeeze out the liquid.  Discard the liquid and put the grated cucumber into a medium sized bowl.  Stir in the rest of the ingredients and refrigerate for 30-45 minutes to give the flavors a time to blend.  After the flavors have developed, serve.  I like to drizzle on a bit of olive oil and then sprinkle on some fresh mint.  You can also fold in some diced cucumber pieces. 

 

 

    Makes a great condiment for naan bread. 

 


  I love to use it on a hamburger in the place of mayonnaise.  

 


 You can also replace the mayonnaise in potato salad or chicken salad for a different take on classic recipes. 

 



 You can also use it in mashed potatoes in place of sour cream or on a lovely baked potato.   

 


How do you like to use tzatziki sauce? 

If you give this recipe a try, please take a picture of it and tag me on Instagram @countrifiedhicks and use the hashtag #countrifiedhicks so I don't miss seeing your post! Also, please leave me a comment and let me know you were here!  I love to hear from my readers. 

Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...