Saturday, January 18, 2014

Dehydrating Celery

    I used to can about everything we got out of the garden but then I discovered dehydrating and realized finally, what all the fuss was about.  Oh my!  Dehydrating is SOOOO much easier and takes up a lot LESS room that now it is my preferred method of preserving the harvest.  
 



     We do not use a lot of celery in our home.  We used it in a soup now and then and in dressing during the holidays to make my Southern Cornbread Dressing and in tuna salad.  Occasionally the kids and I enjoy it as a snack with some peanut butter but it is a rare occasion that we would use the entire stalk of celery.  We used to feed the rest to the donkeys or rabbits but I knew there should be a way for us to preserve if for future use.  I tried freezing it but I just didn't care for the texture it took on from being frozen.  I finally figured it out that dehydrating it made sense and it rehydrates perfectly.

dehydrating vegetables, dehydrating celery, how to dehydrate, Oster dehydrator, cheap dehydrator, best dehydrator for not a lot of money


   To dehydrate celery, just chop it up and place it in your dehydrator.  

dehydrating vegetables, dehydrating celery, how to dehydrate, Oster dehydrator, cheap dehydrator, best dehydrator for not a lot of money
This is the size of chunks I cut my celery into before dehydrating it.

I just turned on the dehydrator when I went to bed and it was done when I got up the next day.  Just be sure the celery is dried completely and then place the dried celery into a mason jar or baggie.

dehydrating vegetables, dehydrating celery, how to dehydrate, Oster dehydrator, cheap dehydrator, best dehydrator for not a lot of money
The dehydrated celery in a baggie.

You can dehydrate the leaves also; I blend them up and use them in vegetable powders.  

     To rehydrate, just place the desired amount into a small bowl and pour in just enough super hot water to cover it.  Give it about 10-15 minutes and the celery is ready to be used.

Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram
 


I shared this post on the following blogs:
The Chicken Chick
Create with Joy
Cornerstone Confessions

7 comments:

  1. Celery gets a little gross when frozen. I only freeze my ends to use in stock. I still haven't made the jump to buy a dehydrator but I know that people who use them swear by them. I want it to do herbs mostly. I guess I better start looking for a good deal on one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I would recommend the same one I have that I listed above but if not, I hope you find a good deal. They are definitely worth the investment.

      Delete
  2. I don't use a lot of celery either and I usually end up throwing some of it in the compost pile. I am going to start doing this for our soup. Thanks. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patricia, glad you stopped by and I could provide a helpful tip for you!

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea to always have celery on hand, salads are just not the same without it. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick
    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...