Sunday, November 1, 2020

15 Vintage Recipes--Ones Your Grandma Used to Make

    Today I am sharing a list of old-fashioned, vintage recipes...the ones your grandmother used to make.  They all are tried and true and are just as good today as they were 50 years ago.  I make all of these for my family and they love them.  Try them out and bring back some fond memories for your family too! 


Vintage Breakfast Recipes:

 1.  Homemade Bread PuddingIt is simple and delicious but many of today's younger generation have never even heard of it. 

 


 

 2.  Chocolate GravyIf you are from the South, more than likely, you know EXACTLY what chocolate gravy is and have found memories of your mama or your grandma making this for you as a child.  If you're not from the South, you may be wondering what it is.  Well, it's exactly what it sounds like...chocolate in gravy form.

 


3.  Breakfast RiceBreakfast rice is a delicious, comforting and filling breakfast. It's great on days you don't have a lot of time.   We have it once or twice a week and it is always good.  It's easy to make and we often make it when we go camping too.  It is also a way to use leftover rice.

 


 

Vintage Main Dish Meals:

1.  Chili MacChili mac is a mash up of two great foods...chili and macaroni and cheese.  Yum.  It is the ultimate casserole in my opinion.  It has so much flavor because it pairs two comfort foods together.  Your whole family will go crazy for it.

 


 

 2.  Homemade Moist Meatloaf

 


3.  Chicken ala King. One of those dishes that I think counts as a comfort food.  A food that makes you feel warm & cozy and makes you think of the good ole days!

 


 

4.  Goulash. I don't know about your family, but my family LOVES goulash.  It's one of those "feel good" kinda meals.  It ain't fancy but it sure is delicious and filling.

 

  

5.  Homemade Chicken and Dumplings. My family loves Chicken & Dumplings.  If they had their way, they would eat this 3-4 times a week and never tire of it.  I know everyone makes theirs differently but this is the way I have been cooking mine for years and people always swear this is the best they've ever tasted. Hope you'll try it out for your family and they love it too.

 



6.  Salmon Patties. Salmon patties were a meal my Mom made about once a week when I was growing up.  If it's been a long time since you have had some, why don't you follow my recipe and make up a mess!

 


 

7.  Loaded Boiled Cabbage.   This Loaded Boiled Cabbage recipe is a meal into itself.  I sure hope your family enjoys it as much as my family does!

 


 

8.  Old Fashioned Cream Tuna on Toast. So good. A family favorite.

 


 

9.  Tuna Noodle Casserole.  An easy-to-make, inexpensive and yummy meal. 

 


Vintage Desserts & Misc.:

1.  Glazed Cinnamon Apple FrittersThese apple fritters fry up perfectly.  Warm, sweet and just the right amount of cinnamon!  The batter turns out perfectly so you can make nice and fluffy fritters similar to a dumpling or you can also make them nice and flat...your choice. 

 


2.  Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly SandwichA peanut butter and jelly sandwich is probably the most well-known, most loved and the easiest sandwich to make.  What could be better than that?  I'll tell you what...a FRIED peanut butter and jelly sandwich!  Oh, my gosh. I did not know what I had been missing all these years.  

 

 

3.  Southern Fried Hand PiesFried pies are so darned delicious.  They are easy to make and turn out perfectly every time if you follow my recipe.  Some people call these kinds of pies hand pies or fried pies...we just call them Southern Fried Hand Pies.  No matter what you call them, they are wonderful.  You can use homemade pie filling like we did or just open up a can of store bought.  They are truly delicious!

 



Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram
Follow me on MeWe
Follow me on Parler



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing all these recipes. You have definitely made my menu planning a little bit easier this week. :) How are you? I hope you and your family are doing well. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome. I am okay. Health is just not what it used to be. Spend most of my day in bed...just a part of the disease of MS. Each relapse gets you worse and worse. Hope you are well. Hugs!

      Delete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...