Saturday, September 7, 2019

The Best Way to Freeze Eggs for Long Term Storage

     Have you ever wondered how to freeze eggs for long term storage?  Here's the method I've found that works absolutely the best for freezing eggs!

how to freeze eggs for long term storage, the best way to freeze eggs, how to freeze eggs, using up extra eggs, what to do with frozen eggs, freezing eggs, tips for freezing and thawing eggs,




    
     Currently we have about 25 chickens so we always have plenty of eggs for most of the year.  Generally we have more than we can eat (egg salad, pound cake, eggs for breakfast, or use up so we just have a surplus of eggs.  Yes, I could sell the eggs but living near my tiny community has so many people who already have their own chickens, there just ins't a real market for them here.  I give some to family members and friends and then I just freeze the rest so I will have eggs for use in the winter when our chickens are not really laying as many. 

      Here is how I freeze eggs on the homestead:

     I freeze eggs individually, for the most part, so I can take out however many I need at the moment.  I purchased a sinilicone muffin mold to freeze my eggs in but before I had it, I just used a regular metal muffin tin.  Both ways work but the metal muffin tin does take a bit of work to get the eggs out.

how to freeze eggs for long term storage, the best way to freeze eggs, how to freeze eggs, using up extra eggs, what to do with frozen eggs, freezing eggs, tips for freezing and thawing eggs,




    All you have to do is break one egg into each space of the muffin tin/mold.  Place the muffin tin on a sheet pan and place them in the freezer.  After about 3-4 hours, remove the muffin/tin and "pop" the frozen eggs out.  If using a metal tin, just turn the the tin upside down and bounce/bang the tin against a hard surface or run some warm water over the back and then they should release pretty easily.  If that thaws the eggs a bit, it is okay.  They will refreeze soon enough.

    
how to freeze eggs for long term storage, the best way to freeze eggs, how to freeze eggs, using up extra eggs, what to do with frozen eggs, freezing eggs, tips for freezing and thawing eggs,


    
    Take the eggs and place them in a freezer safe bag until you are ready to use.  I often will vacuum seal the eggs in bags to keep them even better.  For our family, I generally freeze 6-8 eggs per bag.   Once they are sealed, stack them flat in your freezer.  I just stack one upon the other so they are all together and doing it this way, they do not take up a lot of freezer space.

     Another way I freeze eggs is to take a dozen (or half dozen if you prefer) and whip them real well in a bowl, as if you were going to make scrambled eggs, and pour them into a quart sized, freezer safe container and freeze them that way.

how to freeze eggs for long term storage, the best way to freeze eggs, how to freeze eggs, using up extra eggs, what to do with frozen eggs, freezing eggs, tips for freezing and thawing eggs,



     I also put some in baggies if I don't have enough containers.
how to freeze eggs for long term storage, the best way to freeze eggs, how to freeze eggs, using up extra eggs, what to do with frozen eggs, freezing eggs, tips for freezing and thawing eggs,




     Eggs freeze nicely; thaw nicely and cook up beautifully.  If you use them for scrambled eggs or for baking, they cook up just as good as a fresh egg.  For me, the only way I can tell the difference is if I cook up the eggs over easy and if you want over easy eggs, I do suggest you use frezh eggs.  Using frozen eggs for eggs over easy will give you a different texture to the yolk part of the egg that I just do not care for.  It's edible but just off putting to me.

      Other than eggs over easy, the quality remains the same for frozen eggs.  Frozen eggs can be frozen for up to a year or two.  I had frozen eggs from last summer in my freezer and I scrambled them up this morning and I could tell no difference in the fresh ones I had yesterday to the frozen ones I had today.  

     To use frozen eggs, just remove however many you need and place in a bowl in the refrigerator for a few hours.  If you are trying to use the "scrambled" eggs, just let them thaw in the refrigerator in the container/baggie you froze them in until they are thawed enough to use.

     Three tablespoons of the mixed up eggs are equal to one fresh egg.  


Follow me on Pinterest
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube channel
Follow me on Instagram 




No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...