Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Southern Boiled Cabbage

    I love simple and Southern food.  And today I am sharing a truly Southern and truly fantastic recipe: boiled cabbage.  To many, it is the perfect cheap eat!  If you cook it the way I do, it is NEVER bitter...only delicious.

how to make southern cabbage, Southern style cabbage, boiled cabbage recipe, recipe for how to boil cabbage, a recipe for all cabbage haters,

     Yes, cabbage is cheap but I never really liked it that is UNTIL I figured out a way to make it that makes the cabbage so flavorful and delicious. Now, I make it once a week and everyone in the family, including Ronny (my autistic son) eats it.  I say this is "boiled" cabbage but in truth, it barely comes to a boil and then you simmer it.  So technically it should be called Southern Simmered Cabbage but it just doesn't have the same ring to it.  When done this way, your house doesn't get that harsh "cabbage" cooking smell either so it is a win-win situation. Follow my directions and get the most flavorful, tender tasting cabbage you have ever eaten!

Southern Boiled Cabbage

1 head of cabbage
2 c. chicken broth
2 T. butter
2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

      Cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the hard stem.  Now, slice each quarter in half and then in half again.  In a large pot, add your butter, olive oil, salt, pepper, and cabbage.  Add in the chicken broth and toss the cabbage.  By looking at it, it really does not look like enough liquid but trust me, it is okay and it will turn out.

     Bring the pot to a quick boil over medium-high heat and then cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer it for about 14 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The cabbage should be tender but not soggy.  Do not overcook it.  

     Makes a wonderful side dish to about any meal.  We like it served along with Pulled Pork or Homemade Meatloaf.  

how to make southern cabbage, Southern style cabbage, boiled cabbage recipe, recipe for how to boil cabbage, a recipe for all cabbage haters,

Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram



3 comments:

  1. I sure wished there was a Pinterest Pin button so I can pin this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it after hovering over the pic :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make it this way and love it.. I also make it fried with Bacon and onions in it. We love it both ways. Thanks for your recipe. 😀

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...