Monday, April 6, 2015

Saving Money: Shaving Ham

     This past week, I seen cooked ham on sale for Easter.  I took the opportunity to pick up one and decided to get down our meat slicer (that I picked up at a yard sale for $3) and decided to shave it down for lunch meat.

    The first thing I did was cut off the ends.  I placed them in a baggie and put them into the freezer.  This winter if I'm making a pot of beans, these ends will go into the pot also to flavor them up.  No wasting at this house!

   Next, I set the blade and just began shaving down the ham.

saving money, shaving your own ham, frugal kitchen tips

   When all was said and done, we had 2 3/4 lbs. of shaved hams and a few thick slices for my hubby to fry up for his breakfast.  Not bad, huh?

saving money, shaving your own ham, frugal kitchen tips

    And once your ham is shaved, you should try making Ham Sliders.  So good!

Other ways I save money is by making my own Air Freshener and be sure to read the post on how our family of 4 live off of $1300 a month!


Follow me on Pinterest
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube channel
Follow me on Instagram

2 comments:

  1. My husband has been wanting to get a meat slicer for this very reason. Pre-sliced cold cuts can get pricey...this is a great alternative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is and you can often pick up these meat slicers at yard sales for a steal.

      Delete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...