Monday, June 30, 2014

Making and Bagging your own French Fries at Home

 
 
   Our local grocery store often has 2 ten pound bags of potatoes on sale for $5.00 and I can't ever pass up that bargain.  I generally buy about 30-40 pounds of potatoes a month.  I dehydrate much of it but I also make and bag up a lot of homemade french fries and today I am going to tell you how I do it.

 

    Our family really enjoys french fries but I like making things from scratch so I know exactly what goes into the things my family eats.  But having the time and energy to cut up potatoes every time my family wants french fries is an issue at times.  Now, when I have extra time and potatoes, I just prepare them and bag them up and pop them in the freezer and they are ready to go when we need/want them.

   First just peel your potatoes and slice them into french fries.  We prefer the "steak" style of french fries but you can cut them like shoestring french fries if you wish.  As you are cutting the potatoes, place the peeled and cut potatoes into a bowl of cold water to keep them from turning brown.

How to make and bag up french fries at home, homemade french fries,
A bowlful of cut up potatoes.
  Once the potatoes are all cut up, place them on a cookie sheet or jelly roll pan, but make sure they are not touching one another, like so:

How to make and bag up french fries at home, homemade french fries,
The french fries ready to be flash frozen.
 
  Now, put the pan of french fries into the freezer for 1-2 hours to flash freeze them.  Once they are partially frozen, just remove off the pan and place into a large baggie.  You do this so that the french fries will not stick together.  Anyway, now you just put the baggie of french fries into your freezer until  you are ready to use them.  Remove and cook them like you would do a bag of store-bought french fries.  :-)

How to make and bag up french fries at home, homemade french fries,
The bag of frozen homemade french fries.

French Fries make a great side dish to Goulash or Pulled Pork Sandwiches!


Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram


15 comments:

  1. I didn't realize it was so easy! I thought you had to pre-cook them first... thank you for sharing! I love pre-made freezer foods (we too cook from scratch)... Please link up this idea with the Art of Home-Making Mondays today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love homemade fries and even have a handy dandy cutter. I was just discussing storing taters with the whoa-man, last night. This is a definite do for us. Chickens Out Yonder :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make our own fries (but I don't peel) too but I did think that you had to cook the potatoes first so that they didn't turn crazy colors when frozen. When I am making them for dinner, I cut them when I have time in the day and put them in a bowl of ice water until I am ready to fry or bake. We love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bag that I made up a week ago and the fries are still the same color. I'll add it to the blog post to show you.

      Delete
  4. Such a fantastic post.I never thought of doing fries.I do my squash this way to have during the winter,and now looks like I will put those taters to use.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We make our own fries as well...saves so much money and they are much better in my opinion...thanks for the tip on freezing them! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post. I can not wait to make my own freezer fries. Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  7. as there are only two of us it is not a hardship to do them fresh. I did freeze potatoes once and they went black i guess we didnt prefreeze them. I do make my french fries in the oven tho spritz with olive oil add some seasoning and cook on 450 for 20 mins very fast and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you bake them when you pull them out...temp and time please :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Didn't know you could do this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea.. I make our French fries too.. But, didn't know you could freeze them.. Will be trying this..
    Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just in time. I have a 10lb bag of taters in the kitchen now, and brand new freezer coming tomorrow! Will have to try this. Would you season them before or after freezing?

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...