Monday, September 9, 2013

Homemade Taco Seasoning

    One way I like to save money is by making a lot of my own "seasonings" and sauces instead of buying them.  Taco Seasoning is a great example.  I can make up a pint jar full of mix for less than $1.00 and it equals the amount of about 16 envelopes of store-bought taco seasoning.  The cost comparison alone should make you want to try it.


homemade taco seasoning, how to make your own seasonings, frugal living tips,
   As you can see from my jar, you use 2 tablespoons of my mix to equal one store-bought envelope of taco seasoning.


Taco Seasoning

 1 c. chili powder
1/2 c. onion powder
1/4 c. plus 2 T. cumin
2 T. garlic powder
2 T. paprika
2 T. salt

Mix all ingredients together and store.  We put ours in a pint canning jar and it works great.
 
To use, mix together 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning with 1/2 cup of water. 
 
 
Be sure to check out my Homemade Taco Sauce too.

You might also like my Kale Pestomy Greek Spice Blend, and my Sweet Cinnamon Butter!



Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram
 

14 comments:

  1. I make a similar mix and we like it so much. The homemade kind tastes better and is less salty.
    I made about a gallon of taco mix at Christmas and packed it in half pint jars for gifts. Everybody liked it, especially our son in law who has brought his empty jar back twice for refills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, love your idea to give it away as gifts. Smart!

      Delete
  2. Ps I really enjoy your blog. You are so real and I guess because we are both Okies, your blog is like visiting a neighbor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, thanks so much. Love that you are a fellow Okie too. We're down in SE Oklahoma and love visiting with other like minded people. Link up with us on Facebook if ya want...

      Delete
  3. I am going to try this! I don't like all of the "extra" unhealthy ingredients in the store-bought variety, as well as the price. Thanks for linking up with the Hearts for Home Blog Hop! Hopefully you can share this with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday," as well. I know my readers would love it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I will try to remember to link this up with you next week. I enjoy your posts!

      Delete
  4. So glad you shared this as I was just looking for a recipe to make my own cause I am on a gluten free diet and the store bought has wheat fillers. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, so glad that the recipe proved helpful to you. Hope you'll stop by my blog again soon.

      Delete
  5. Thank you for linking this wonderful recipe up with the Hearts for Home Blog Hop. I look forward to trying it out myself.

    Your post has been selected to feature on Monsters Ed Homeschool Academy's Hearts for Home Blog Hop post featuring recipes which will go live on Thursday, September 19th. Please remember to grab the "I was Featured" button :)
    http://monstersed.co.za/2013/09/19/hearts-home-blog-hop-16

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for featuring my post. I am displaying the featured button proudly!

      Delete
  6. I make a similar mix too! Thank you for sharing at Back to the Basics for Tuesdays with a Twist!
    Have a wonderful week!

    http://back2basichealth.blogspot.com/2013/09/tuesdays-with-twist-24.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a taco seasoning recipe awhile ago and my husband was not a fan of it. I might have to try this one but do you add water to the mix or anything else? I just started following your blog so that I don't miss anything!!! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...