Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Homemade Vegetable Beef with Barley Soup

    I have always loved vegetable beef soup but the prices of soups (and all groceries) have skyrocketed the past year so I wanted to come up with a recipe that I could make from home that was even better (and better for you) than the kinds you buy from the store.  This recipe was the answer.  It is packed with flavor and my whole family loves it. 

 


4 c. beef broth

3 c. water

½ c. chopped onions or 2 T. dehydrated onions

½ c. barley

½ c. diced carrots

1 lb. ground beef

16 oz. bag of mixed vegetables

14 oz. diced tomatoes (do not drain)

8 oz. can tomato sauce

1 can (14-15 oz.) diced potatoes

2 beef bouillon cubes

1 tsp. Italianseasoning

½ tsp. minced garlic

½ tsp. basil

¼ tsp. celery salt

½ tsp. pepper

 

            In a large soup pot, brown the ground beef, along with the onions and garlic.   Once the meat is browned, drain off most of the fat.  I always keep a bit of the grease (fat) because it adds flavor to the soup.  Add in the rest of the ingredients, stir, cover and allow the soup to come to a boil.  Now, reduce the heat and allow the soup to simmer for 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally.   Serve and enjoy.

 


            If the soup is too thick, you can add in a bit more water or tomato sauce. I like to serve this soup with some homemade cornbread or crusty homemade white bread.

             Serves 6 and each serving has about 25 grams of carbs. 

             If you love soups, check out some of my other soup recipes such as: Homemade Potato Soup, my no-soak 15 bean soup or my homemade tomato soup.

 

Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...