Thursday, May 10, 2012

How to make your own Pizza at Home

DIY, frugal living, homemade pizza, how to make pizza dough, how to make pizza sauce, pizza dough, pizza recipe




  Part of our weekly menu at our house is having pizza every Friday night.  We do not order out, we make it together from scratch.  Figured some of you may like to try out our recipe and make it a weekly tradition at your home too so here you go:
 

 

Pizza Crust
 
 3 1/3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 pkg. yeast
2 T. olive oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. sugar

        
     In a large bowl, dissolve yeast, sugar, and 1/4 c. of the warm water.  Let it process and activate for 10 minutes.  Next stir in the rest of the water, the salt, and the oil.  Stir.  Then add in 2 1/2 c. of the flour.  Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead.  Add rest of the flour as needed.


homemade pizza, pizza dough, pizza recipe, how to make pizza dough, how to make pizza sauce, frugal living
Dough before rising 
 
        Spray a bowl with cooking spray and place dough in a warm area to rise and cover it with a dish towel.  After 25 minutes, punch down the dough and form it into a tight ball.  Leave it alone for 10 minutes.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Roll out the dough to desired thickness.  You can make one pizza for a nice thick crust or divide it into 2 equal sizes and roll out for two thinner crusts.


homemade pizza, pizza dough, pizza recipe, how to make pizza dough, how to make pizza sauce, frugal living
Rolled out dough in the pan.  It isn't pretty but it tastes great! 
 
        Top with pizza sauce (recipe follows) and your favorite toppings.  Bake for 17 minutes then remove and enjoy!


DIY, frugal living, homemade pizza, how to make pizza dough, how to make pizza sauce, pizza dough, pizza recipe
Homemade sauce on the crust  


Pizza Sauce
 
 2 T. olive oil
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 (36 oz.) can tomato sauce
1 tsp. marjoram
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 T. butter
1 T. chopped onion flakes
1/4 tsp. celery flakes
1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. fennel seed


Over medium heat, heat oil in a saucepan until hot. Add all ingredients, cover and bring to a boil. Uncover, lower heat and allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
 
 



 Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram


For more of my great recipes, click here

16 comments:

  1. Oh yum! My mother in law makes homemade pizza and it is better than ordering out, so I can imagine! What a fun tradition you have with your family.

    Blessings,
    Nicole
    Working Kansas Homemaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, thank you! Yes, homemade is the best! I think it is important to have traditions with my family. Many families I know, never sit down for a meal together and it is important to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love home made pizza and make it about twice per month. We also use string cheese, pulled apart in halves, to make stuffed crust pizza. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of stuffed crust pizza. Do you just roll the string cheese into the outside crust area?

      Delete
  4. This pizza looks amazing! I can almost taste it! Thank so much for sharing with us at The Becoming Kitchen. (Look for your feature next Friday!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie, we really love eating it. :-) I look forward to linking up with you again. I put your linky on my list and will be a regular contributor!

      Delete
  5. This is the second post about homemade pizza I've seen in less than a week! I think someone is trying to tell me I need to make some pizza ASAP! Thank you for posting what looks like a yummy (and easy) recipe. I can't wait to try it! Thanks for linking up with NOBH. Smiles -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, well, since this is the 2nd post you seen about homemade pizza, I think it is a sign. You need to make some! ha ha I appreciate you allowing me to link up with you. Looking forward to doing it again next week!

      Delete
  6. Oh this sounds yummy! My guys love pizza I'll have to give this recipe a try.

    I would love it if you would share this post on the Creative @ Home Wednesday Link-Up! I really think my readers will enjoy it!

    http://susangodfrey.com/category/home-family/creative-home/

    Blessings!
    Susan Godfrey
    Finding Beauty - http://www.susangodfrey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, Please let me know how your guys like it. I will link up with you with this on Wed.
      :-)

      Delete
  7. We make homemade pizza almost every week. My kids remind me on Thursdays that it is "Pizza Night." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love working with yeast, and your pizza certainly looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We do this too - so much tastier that store-bought! Thanks for linking to Craftastic Monday at Sew Can Do:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, we just made some more last night. It is always a hit at our house.

      Delete
  10. Love this! We prefer homemade pizza as well. We can keep it as healthy as we want, too. Thank you for sharing this at WJIM. :o)

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...