Saturday, September 12, 2020

How to Make Your Own Buttermilk (Easy Buttermilk Substitution)

    In my cooking, there are many times that a recipe calls for buttermilk and I NEVER have buttermilk on hand.  I don't like the taste of it and I hate to buy some to have on hand and then never use it so I just don't buy it.  Instead of running to the store every time I need some, I just make a buttermilk substitute that works perfectly!  Now I never have to run to the store again!  I just make my own and it is super easy to do.

 


    You just don't want to ever just omit buttermilk if a recipe calls for it.  Buttermilk brings a delicious and light texture to whatever you are making.  It makes biscuits, breads, and pancakes more tender and adds flavor to cakes and makes them extra rich and moist.

    For each cup of buttermilk you need, just put 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or 1 tablespoon of lemon juice into a measuring cup and then add milk up to the one cup line.  Stir and leave alone for at least 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes the milk should have thickened and curdled slightly then you have the perfect buttermilk substitution.   Now it can be used 1-for-1 in any recipe that calls for buttermilk.

    Some of the recipes that I use this substitute for would be in my cast iron skillet cornbread, homemade hush puppies and in my easy and tender butter dipped biscuits.


Follow me on Youtube
Follow me on Instagram 
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow me on Twitter



2 comments:

  1. Hi Melody,
    Hope all is well with you and your family. I miss your posts, they were an uplifting part of my day. Its hard to believe it is October already. Autumn is my favorite season so I am enjoying the cooler temperatures and falling leaves. :) Have a blessed rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Mom says she hopes the rest of the year treats you good. She misses you too!

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...