Monday, March 4, 2019

Line Drying in the Winter

     We have not owned a "powered" washer or dryer in over 10 years.  People often ask us how we dry our clothes during the winter and they are often shocked when I say we hang our clothes out to dry all year long!  Yes, it is possible to "dry" your clothes even when it is below freezing outside with a foot of snow on the ground!   Today, I will be telling you how it is done and the tips and tricks we have learned over the years.

line drying in the winter, line drying clothes in the winter, can i line dry my clothes in the winter, helpful tips for line drying clothes in the winter, don't stop hanging out to dry in the winter


     Did you know that using a dryer adds up to $25 a month (that is $300 a year)  to your electric bill?  Not only do you save money by drying your clothes on the line but your clothes smells so much better too.  There is nothing more delightful than the scent of fresh-air dryed clothes!

     Drying your clothes in the winter time is often referred to as "freeze drying".  It is not just like drying in the summer time but drying in the winter time is definitely possible but it takes a few different tips to get the job done right.  Here are the suggestions I would use.

      Be sure to hang your wet clothes on the line as early in the morning as you can.  Also, try to hang your clothes out on days that the humidity is not as high.  I just check the dew point and if the dew point is about the same as the temperature then I hang my clothes out to dry, if not, I just wait for a better day.  For example, today was 23 degrees and the dew point was 10 so it was close enough to the temp that I hung out my clothes.

     Of course, a windy day is always a good day to hang out laundry.  The wind really helps clothes feel more fresh and soft.  Also, if there is snow on the ground, you get the extra added effect of "snow bleaching".  And as always the biggest bonus of line drying is how fresh and clean your clothes smell.

     When you hang out your  clothes in the winter time, be sure to hang your shirts by the hemline and not by the shoulders.  This will keep the material from bunching up and when they freeze, the wrinkles would be super hard to get out.  When your clothes are "frozen", the moisture is pretty much out of your clothes so bring them in and lay them out and when they "defrost", they are pretty much dry and ready to be put away. An added bonus, my boys love to "sword fight" with frozen socks.  It is so funny to watch!

    Be sure to check out my other blog posts about how we wash our clothes and how we make our own laundry detergent and fabric softener!
 

Follow me on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube channel
Follow me on Instagram 

I shared this post on the following blogs and link parties:

The Blogger's Pit Stop



2 comments:

  1. While I do have a washing machine, I have not had a dryer for four or five years. I line dry all year long - and we live in Canada. :) So it's winter six months of the year. I have a line inside to use when the snow is too much outside, and when the sun is shining, I brave it and hang up the laundry outdoors for a fresh airing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love it too. So many people today have forgotten that when our grandparents were young, this is the only way it can be done and don't realize it STILL can be done. Thank you so much for dropping by.

      Delete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...