Thursday, May 3, 2012

Leftovers

   I follow another blog and she was talking about what she does with leftovers.  To tell you the truth, we rarely have leftovers at our home.  I have the same menu week-to-week so I have learned how much to make for my family without waste or leftovers.  For instance, if we have chicken fried steak, I cook just 3.  One for each of us (our youngest won't eat it.).  I buy in bulk and divide up meat and freeze it in portions we use.  If on the rare occasion I do have leftovers, it is usually just a serving of veggies or one serving of a casserole or something.  If that is the case, I put it in the refrigerator and someone will eat it for lunch the next day.  I cook breakfast and supper and lunch is always sandwiches, soup or salad.  It makes grocery shopping so much easier to plan it out this way.
   What do you do with your leftovers?  How do you manage things so you don't have a lot leftovers?

leftovers, tater tot casserole, frugal living
It looks gross but it is delicious.  Potato/hamburger casserole.


Follow me on Pinterest
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube channel
Follow me on Instagram

Other posts I have written on being frugal include:
How NOT to waste in the kitchen
Gardening
Shopping


11 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up with Make Life Meaningful Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, well, thank you for allowing me to link up! :-)

      Delete
  2. always fun to find another blog and the creativity behind it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leftovers become lunches here. We homeschool and hubby takes his lunch every weekday, so very little goes to waste. If there is meat that hasn't been used, I pop it in the freezer for another day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would so eat that! I love leftovers! Lunch for next day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi:)

    I make good sized suppers for my family of 5...3 teenagers, my husband and I. My hubby was raised a farm boy, on meat and taters so, he likes meat at every meal. We eat leftovers for lunch, whoever happens to be around, and then for one meal a week, We take out of the fridge whatever is left, and have supper potluck style. We heat it all up, and everybody takes their pick...nothing goes to waste. Sometimes certain foods taste better if they are made a day in advance, so that works well with my bunch. Nothing goes to waste. I do give our dogs a treat by letting them have the scraps after a meal, and they think they are in "dog heaven"...hey...they have to eat too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. Meat is a necessary around here too. Sounds like our families are a lot alike!
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. I keep a bowl in the refrigerator and all vegetable, pasta, starch, or meat left overs go in it and then on Saturday; it is made into soup. Every Saturday is cleaning and chore day so it is nice not to worry about what is for lunch that day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that avoiding them in the first place is best. But sometimes I deliberately make more so I can use them the next day instead of starting from scrtch. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right and I agree. I often do the same. That comment was actually more to the people who REFUSE to eat leftovers. I have a good friend that way. She and her family won't eat a leftover to save their lives and always fix too much and then just throws it in the trash. Makes me cringe every time.

      Delete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...