Sunday, February 18, 2018

DIY Homemade Carpet Deodorizer


     We live on a farm/homestead and my husband and teenage son do all the feeding and watering of all our farm animals; tend the garden; and take care of the property.  They track in things all day and all night long.  I can vacuum a few times a day but the carpets still smell.  As you and I both know, carpets absorb ALL odors and instead of purchasing carpet deodorizers from the store, I prefer to make my own.  My carpet deodorizer is fast & easy to make and uses all natural ingredients that leave a light, natural scent and not a heavily perfumed one and does not contain any harsh or harmful chemicals like the store bought kind do.  It is so easy to do; it's inexpensive and is non-toxic!





    To make this, all you do is place 1 cup of baking soda into a medium sized bowl.  Sprinkle in 10 drops of orange essential oil and 5 drops of Tea Tree essential oil. 

homemade carpet freshener, natural carpet deodorizer, how to make homemade carpet freshener, fast & easy carpet deodorizer, DIY carpet freshening powder,

 Stir well and pour the powder into a shaker jar.  

homemade carpet freshener, natural carpet deodorizer, how to make homemade carpet freshener, fast & easy carpet deodorizer, DIY carpet freshening powder,


     To use, sprinkle over your carpet and let the powder sit for about 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes, vacuum as usual.  

     Store the powder in a safe place, away from children, in a cool, dry place.

     I have even used this in my mini-van and it does WONDERS!   Another tip, sprinkle a bit into tennis shoes.  After a full day of my teenage son wearing his shoes, they can become quite smelly but this stops the problem.  

*****NOTE*****
     If you do not have any essential oils, you can used dried herbs.  I like to use rosemary.  

If you like this, you'd probably also like my recipe for Homemade Air Freshener!
 
 
Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram


6 comments:

  1. Must do this with the car (I have 2 kids). Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that the tea tree oil is toxic to a cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I read that too but I have used tea tree oil in my diffusers, etc. for the past 4 years and my 2 cats have never been affected. My vet says like all things, some are affected and some aren't. Use a bit of Frankincense in its place if you have cats.

      Delete
  3. With a bunch of boys running around, our carpets are the worst! I have tried store bought products before but it seem like only the carpet cleaners can get the carpets nice. I'll have to try this, especially since I have everything already! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like how it works! So glad you stopped by!

      Delete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...