Monday, February 15, 2016

Dehydrating Collard Greens

   My family isn't much on eating collard greens but we do grow it for our animals. Even though we do not care for the taste, I like the nutrient value of collard greens and like to implement them into our diet.  I do so by dehydrating the greens and using them in green powder.  I then "sneak" it into our meals without changing taste or texture of our foods.  Green powder can be added a teaspoonful or so at a time to eggs, salads, casseroles, meatloaf, smoothies, etc.

      Collard greens are really packed with healthy vitamins and minerals.  Just one serving of collard greens contain more than your daily requirement of Vitamins K & A.  They also contain a lot of Vitamin C, calcium and iron.  Collards have a lot of protein and posses several anticancer properties and are a great source of fiber...all great reasons to incorporate them into your diet. 

     The first thing you do is take and wash your collard greens real well and then lay them out on your dehydrator tray.

Dehydrating collard greens, how to use dried collard greens, green powder


      Next, turn on your dehydrator.  They dry really fast so generally, within about 3 hours they are completely dry.  When done, they will be super brittle.

Dehydrating collard greens, how to use dried collard greens, green powder




 
     I crumble the leaves into my blender and pulse them until they are a fine powder.  I then add them into my green powder jar until I am ready to use them.

Dehydrating collard greens, how to use dried collard greens, green powder



Follow me on Pinterest
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on g+
Follow us on linkedin
Follow our Youtube channel
Follow me on Instagram


I shared this post on the following blogs:

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...