Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Tater Tot Casserole Recipe

    Tater tot casserole.  I don't know about you but just the words make me drool!  This is a favorite in our house.  Yes, I know it is not the healthiest recipe but by golly, it sure is delicious.  Everyone in our family absolutely loves it and is often requested.  We serve this on Saturday night for supper and we look forward to Saturday's because of it!

comfort food, Easy recipe, frugal recipe, recipe, recipes, Tater tot casserole

Tater Tot Casserole

1 lb. hamburger meat
1 envelope onion soup mix
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. seasoning salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 can peas
32 oz.  pkg. tater tots
1 c. shredded cheese

    A lot of people use "real" onion but I found out that if you fry up the dried chopped onion (that comes in spice sized containers, like cinnamon) with the hamburger meat, it fries up wonderfully.  It cooks up (and smells just like) you used fresh onion.   Besides, then you do not have to peel an onion or cut it up.  I like things easy!
 
     Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  
 
     Add a small amount of cooking oil to a skillet.  Add in the hamburger meat and the chopped onions.  Fry them together until the hamburger is brown. 
 
Tater tot casserole, Easy recipe, recipe, recipes, comfort food, frugal recipe
The hamburger meat and chopped onions being fried together.

 Pour into a cake pan (do not drain).  Add the onion soup mix and spices and mix it up and then open up the can of peas and pour on top.  
Tater tot casserole, Easy recipe, recipe, recipes, comfort food, frugal recipe

    Now, pour on your cream of chicken soups and gently stir it into the meat/pea mixture.  Top with tater tots.  If I am having company over for supper, I lay the tater tots on the casserole real pretty like.  Nice uniform rows and all the tater tots lined up neatly but if it is just for the family, I just basically dump the bag of tater tots on top.  My family does not care if it looks pretty as long as it tastes good. 
 
    Place in the oven for 35 minutes then top with the shredded cheese and bake another 10 minutes.  
 
Tater tot casserole, Easy recipe, recipe, recipes, comfort food, frugal recipe
The finished dish!


    Most recipes you find online are to be made in a 8"x8" square pan but we like to eat at my house so we always make it in a normal sized cake pan (13 x 8, or whatever the dimensions are).  :-)  Also, the recipes you find elsewhere usually call for twice as much meat as mine does.  I use 1 lb. for the big cake pan full and it is more than enough for us, and we are BIG meat eaters in our house.  

    Well, there you have it.  It is great comfort food!!!

      Other varieties of a tater tot casserole I make include a Mexican Tater Tot Casserole.  Check it out!
 
Follow us on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow our Youtube Channel
Follow us on Instagram
 

4 comments:

  1. Looks SO good! I love the idea of not having to cut/smell the fresh onion! :-) Feel free to come over and link this up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I'd love to have you join us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up! Hope you had a wonderful holiday weekend! :-)

      Delete
    2. Lisa, I am so glad I found your blog to link up to!

      Delete
  2. I make this often but I have never used the onion soup mix or the peas. I will have to try it this way.

    ReplyDelete

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...